Tuesday, February 1, 2011

So, You Wanna be a Runner?

I'm a very goal-oriented person.  Goals are what keep me going.  So far I've accomplished all my life goals; college degree, professional employment, master's degree, home ownership, marriage, babies (in that order).  So lately I've been feeling pretty lost without a goal.  I would love to have another baby....but honestly I'm just not ready for that-and babies are expensive! 

I needed a new goal.  Something to work toward.  Something to keep me busy (not that my boys don't keep me busy enough).  I decided toward the end of October that my new goal would be to lose all the pregnancy weight I had gained.  Well...its been 3 months and I am almost at my pre-pregnancy weight...about 10lbs away.  I would like to lose that 10lbs and about 10-15lbs more, but.....I got a little bored with simply trying to lose weight. 

So..............I decided that I wanna be a runner!

Yeah...I don't know.  Crazy huh?!?  Its especially crazy because, though I am a regular at the gym, I do NOT run!  I think the last time I ran was for my 5th grade fitness test when they make you run a mile....and I've always joked that I wouldn't run if someone was chasing me.  But, putting all that aside,  I decided that running would be my new life goal.

Super.

I started running a couple weeks ago.  I get on the treadmill, turn on Kayne West's "Stronger" (on repeat) and pray.  Ive been trying to run at least every other day and I guess I'm getting better.  I can run for 30 minutes straight and I go a little over 2.5 miles (which sucks-but I'm a beginner!).  I still hate running, but I'm trying.  I will not give up.  It is my new life goal-there is no other option but to succeed. 

Dave (my husband) is a runner.  He used to run 1/2 marathons every year and he even completed a whole 26.2 mile marathon a couple years ago.  So, he is supportive and my new found interest in running as even gotten him back on the treadmill!

We are going to run the St. Patrick's 4 Miler on March 12th.  That's what I'm working towards right now...being able to run 4 miles without stopping.  If I can do that then I am going to consider maybe running a 1/2 marathon on May 15th. 

Lofty goals.  We'll see....

3 comments:

  1. I'm all about it too. I'm gonna do a 5k again this summer and hopefully running the 10K in october. I found that I actually like to run...a little bit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you, Shannon!! I'll be cheering you on. From my couch! Ha! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Courtney! I think you may have the better idea! Al-you should come run the 4 miler with me! It would be fun!!

    ReplyDelete